The Diabetes Diet
Dr Bernstein, who has Type 1 diabetes, did not experience a healthy life until he devised his own diet to regulate his blood sugar levels. Many diabetics, both Type 1 and Type 2, have experienced a balancing of blood sugar levels and an overall improvement in health and well being after going on The Diabetes Diet. In fact, Bernstein claims that sticking to this diet for as little as two weeks can provide an enormous benefit.
Diabetes Diet Basics:
- Eat foods that are high in fiber.
- Avoid processed cheese and canned or cured meats.
- Watch your sugar intake. Learn to read the ingredients on food labels. Sugar comes in many forms. Corn syrup, sucrose and dextrose are all forms of sugars that can sneak into your diet.
- Pay attention to your carbohydrates. This could be as simple as having whole grain instead of white bread. Try different brown rices instead of white rice and minute rice.
- Avoid eating late at night. Avoiding eating 2 hours before you go to bed will enable you to burn fat while you sleep.
- Eat smaller more frequent meals. Try for 5 - 7 smaller meals daily. This will help your diabetes as well as help you in your weight loss goal.
- Reduce saturated fat and cholesterol intake. Opt for flavor over fat. Avoid salt, try adding spices to your food. Use unsweetened applesauce in place of cooking oil in baking recipes.
Sample Menu of the Diabetes Diet
- Low-sugar, wholegrain breakfast cereal
- Skim milk, 1 cup
- Stewed fruit
- Wholegrain toast
- Low-fat jam
- Large salad
- Chicken pieces
- Vegetable soup
- Wholegrain muffin
- Beef curry
- Wholegrain rice
- Vegetable quiche
A diabetes diet should do three things; achieve ideal weight, maintain normal blood glucose levels, and limit foods that contribute to heart disease.
HOT - Diabetes Diet Resources:
Click here for a FREE DIET CDTry the Don't Diet Or Exercise System
Take the FREE 12 WEEK CHOCOLATE WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE and lose those extra pounds while Eating Chocolate Every Day!
Get these FREE eBooks You Can Eat Chocolate And Lose Weight and/or 6 Secrets Of Successful Weight Loss .
Check out our Best Selling Diet and Weight Loss Books. Questions? Try the iDiet4U.com Discussion Board
David M. Masters